Breaking News

Tears As Nigerian Student And Only Child Dies In UK After Eating Cannabis Sweet

A Nigerian law student and only child of her parents, Damilola Olakanmi, based in East London, has died after eating the cannabis sweet she bought via a messaging app on her phone.

According to the  UK Evening Standard, Olakanmi, 23,  had immediately fell ill and rushed in a critical condition to Queen’s Hospital, London, via an air ambulance after taking the sweet on March 29.

Unfortunately, the 23-year-old died at the hospital on April 2 from complications from the intake of the substance.


A US-based student and friend of Olakanmi, who also took from the substance while on a visit to the deceased, fell ill, but was later discharged by doctors after responding well to treatments.

Justice campaigner and friend of Wumi, Richard Taylor, noted that the University of Hertfordshire undergraduate was an only child.

“Wumi has lost her only child – she has nothing now,” Taylor was quoted to have said. “They had to hold her up because she broke down every time a friend came to the house to give support.

“It’s a tragic warning to all young people about how they live their lives. They should resist drugs.”

The Metropolitan Police has arrested Leon Brown, 37, of South Norwood, London, in connection with the incident.

He was subsequently charged with possession with intent to supply Class B synthetic cannabinoid, being concerned in the supply of a synthetic cannabinoid, and possession with intent to supply a psychoactive substance.

The Metropolitan Police said the case may be linked to a woman who was taken to hospital in March after eating cannabis sweet in another part of London.

No comments